Kendal Torchlight 2020
The Kendal Torchlight Procession and Street Party 2020 will not be taking place due to the Covid 19 restrictions, however, there will be a Kendal Torchlight 2020 celebration.
Gathering 2020 aims lift spirits and help boost our economy and social life, while ensuring support for the health and safety of ourselves, families and community. Because of lockdown and the uncertainty of whether large gatherings will be possible this year and that it will be difficult, if possible at all, to recruit all the volunteers we need and make all the floats, we reluctantly had to make the decision to ‘adapt’ the nature of Torchlight.
The plans for special 50th Kendal Torchlight Gathering will be postponed until next year.
The Torchlight Organisers would be very pleased to hear from you if you can commit some time and creativity now to make 2020 a very special celebration of all things Kendal and Torchlight.
Torchlight will be a virtual Carnival. By the time to get to Torchlight Weekend, 25th/26th September, Kendal and the District will need a party, so we will need your help to prepare for that. Please get involved for Torchlight will depend on your creativity as much as ever before.
Please make sure you follow our Torchlight social pages Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to keep in touch with all the ideas to help you get through the lockdown and prepare for normal social life.
Torchlight’s Creative Crew will soon be on line with videos of how to:
- Design posters to illustrate the Torchlight theme of Think Global & Act Local
- Do some cutting and sticking to make collages to tell a story on the Torchlight theme
- Make flags, banners and bunting that we will use to decorate our communities and town
- Garden for Torchlight – sharing ideas of plants you can grow at home and harvest around the time of Torchlight
- Produce lanterns that you can put in your garden or windows
- Dig out pictures you, your parents or possibly grandparents may have from Torchlight since it started in 1970 – 50 years ago
- Share stories of floats or costumes you made with your work mates, community group or school over the years
- Make a special loud banging instrument or musical sound for the Thursday night NHS ‘thank you’ and then carry forward carnival music to September
- Write some poetry to celebrate what is special about our town and district
- Make some seed bags ready for next year
- Create some giant cardboard or scrap sculpture that we can display
Torchlight is looking for Torchbearers; individuals, companies or community groups who will sponsor the making of Fire Chariots that we will make over the summer and display around the town in the build-up and over Torchlight weekend.
Please contact Craig Russell directly if you would like to know more.
We are also looking for ways to celebrate for schools to be involved with so please keep in touch email@example.com